Response / Thought Quotes
- “Cook ruefully discovered that “there was not a blade of grass that had not a separate owner.” He concluded that “no people had higher ideas of exclusive property.””
- Describe the 17-18th century European mythology about the Pacific
- Who was Ferdinand Megellan
- Describe the colonization of the Philippines
- Where did the Philippines fit into the Spanish colonial trade system?
- Who was Captain James Cook?
- Explain and Expand: “Although serving an imperial agenda, the sojourning scientists were also observant and often sympathetic men affected by their encounters with new cultures.”
- Explain and Expand: “The Hawaiian people were the farthest extension of the great northeastward migration of the Polynesians, which began in Indonesia about two thousand years ago.”
- Describe Pre-Contact Hawaiian culture and the post contact transformation
- Who were the “Raincoast Natives” and how and why were they culturally different from most Native Americans?
- Describe the scientific, geographic and cultural knowledge that James Cook documented
- In what ways did the natural abundance of the Pacific Northwest positively and negatively impact Native Americans?
- How did the Hawaiian islands become a nexus for Pacific trade?
Articles and Resources