Empire of Liberty by Gordon S. Wood – Chapter 10: The Jeffersonian West
- Describe the territory, occupation and organization of the Ohio country (Ohio, Indiana and Illinois)
- How did William Henry Harrison and slave power introduce slavery into the Indiana territory and how was it eliminated?
- Who was Timothy Pickering?
- What were the circumstances and considerations surrounding the Louisiana Purchase?
- Describe the territory and initial occupation and organization of the Louisiana Territory
- Describe the territory, acquisition of East and West Florida?
- What were the public and private reasons for the Lewis and Clark expedition?
- Who was John Jacob Astor? Who was Zebulon Pike?
- Who was Aaron Burr and what role did he play in the west?
- What were some of the “scientific” theories about North American nature and how was this related to Jefferson’s “Notes on the State of Virginia”?
- The Louisiana Purchase Treaty
- The Adams–Onís Treaty of 1819
- Notes on the State of Virginia by Thomas Jefferson
- Brief Biography of Zebulon Pike
- Brief Biography of Timothy Pickering
- Aaron Burr’s Arrest Encyclopedia of Alabama
- Synopsis of the Aaron Burr Trial: 1807
- Acquisition of Florida: Treaty of Adams-Onis (1819) and Transcontinental Treaty (1821)
American Literature Focus Reading
- Continue reading The Last of the Mohicans; A narrative of 1757 by James Fenimore Cooper
- (We will be reading this until the end of the current book Empire of Liberty)